Squeezing joy out of everyday life.

Saturday, June 23, 2012

The Fairy Tale of Least Effort

My new  favorite book is The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success by Deepak Chopra (more info on him here, if you're curious).



I ordered the book online secondhand and it had an inscription on it (dated Easter 1995) that read, "For my son - Another something washed up on the shore of the world. Choose what you need. Don't worry about the rest. Love, Dad"


How beautiful is that? I loved the book already and I hadn't even gotten beyond the inside cover. Always a good sign! 


I have no doubt that I'll be referring to pieces of this book again someday, but today I want to focus on Dr. Chopra's explanation of "The Law of Least Effort" (read the book when you get a chance, my attempts at simplifying leave out a lot of great information). Most simply put, "Nature's intelligence functions effortlessly, frictionlessly, spontaneously." He explains that the grass doesn't try to grow...it just grows. Flowers don't try to bloom...they just bloom.  One of my favorite quotes in the book is, 


"It is the nature of the sun to shine. It is the nature of the stars to glitter and sparkle. And it is human nature to make our dreams manifest into physical form, easily and effortlessly." 


This pretty thing didn't have to try to grow...it just did! 
Wait, what?! Life is supposed to be easy?!


He continues to explain that when our energy is used for things of love (when we're motivated by joy instead of fear, like yesterday's post), we can cut out the struggle. Now, if you have spent any time in the good 'ole US of A, this is not really the vibe perpetuated by popular culture. If you want something, you better work yourself to death, blood, sweat and tears, and fight for it! 


I'm tired just thinking about that last sentence.


I much prefer the idea that is within the Law of Least Effort - accept things how they are at this moment, wish for the way you want things in the future, and allow yourself to be motivated by love. When you truly do these things, you will experience a kind of freedom and success that is unlike anything you could have imagined.


Now (you knew this was coming!), let me tell you a story. 


Last post I talked about my divorce, and my process of embracing mistakes. After that, I was truly okay with myself, where I was in my life, and at peace with not knowing what was in store for me next. I was living day to day, enjoying the little things, blah blah blah. Then, my baby brother graduated from high school, and I drove home to Michigan for the weekend to celebrate with my family. That Sunday afternoon, I was driving back to Indiana for more graduate school awesomeness. Needless to say, eventually nature called, and I pulled into the Indiana Welcome Center Rest Area. 


Yup, I have a picture of the Indiana Welcome Center Rest Area. 


When I came back out of the restroom, I went to start my car to continue on my journey. I put the key in the ignition.


And nothing happened.

Repeat...nothing. So, I found my little hood popping button-thingy, and got out of my car. I wasn't but thirty seconds in to randomly tapping on engine-y looking parts (cars are not my skill area), when this guy came up and asked if I needed help:

Hubba hubba, why yes, I DO need help, thank you! 

He explained that he had locked his keys in his car, and proceeded to point across the empty parking space to his whole keys-locked-in-car set-up. He had a tow truck coming, and was more than willing to share the services.

Now, (ladies especially), I don't condone talking to strangers in places like rest areas (usually), but there was a serious block on my ability that evening to say, "No thank you, I'll be fine." Instead, I fluttered my stupid eyelashes and dove headfirst into my role as damsel in distress.

And thank Heavens I did!

[Check out the full story of how we met.   (scroll down a bit past the introductions and you'll find it)]

That night was the beginning of the most amazing adventure of my life, and it was EFFORTLESS.  I didn't have to try and meet the man of my dreams, I just did. I had accepted my current circumstances, I was living my life based on love and excitement, and ::poof:: he appeared, like magic. Like in fairy tales.

Taken by the talented Kiely Carlson at our wedding. 

I think when we let things happen effortlessly, the way they have been planned for us, the outcome is much better than when we try tirelessly to make things happen (square peg, round hole).

I wonder, what can you let just BE today? 


Now, I'm going to go wake up my Prince Charming, who is sleeping in on a rare day off from the hospital, so we can go play outside in the sunshine :)









1 comment: